My skills: As told by me
- I am a great communicator both in private and public spheres
- I have completed a communication studies minor, which involves taking 1 beginning and 3 advanced level public speaking courses.
- I have served as a middle level manager for 6 months and have constantly communicated expectations from my boss to those below me
- I have become better at one on one communication through practice and class work
- I am a natural leader and like to push people to work toward a common goal
- I was the captain of my soccer team from the time I was 10 until the end of my career
- I have been promoted twice into higher level management spots due to my leadership abilities
- I am competitive and constantly strive for success
- I have an extensive knowledge of food: both cooking and eating (Specific to my product)
- I am constantly the person people come to for advice on choosing a place to eat or what is good at certain restaurants
- I am passionate about my cooking and what goes into my body
- I am calm under pressure
- Even in stressful situations I maintain composure and refuse to take shortcuts
- Pressure helps me achieve my best work, as I do not want to half ass something important
- I am willing to put in the work
- In this weeks lecture a lot of the conversation was on betting on yourself and putting in the necessary work to get a venture going
- I have noticed that with my promotions has come a new mindset and willingness to strive above and beyond the call of duty.
My skills: As told by others*
- Interview #1: High School Friend
- In this interview my friend pointed out that I was convincing and well organized. We talked about how in high school I was the one to plan events or organize our friend group to do something. He said I was able to communicate effectively with everyone to make sure we were all on the same page and showed up at the right spot (most of the time).
- Interview #2: Current Roommate #1
- This interview was with my current roommate who I have lived with since freshman year. We were randoms when we met so his opinion was based on me in college. He remarked that I have a knack for organization, in my own sense. He said that while I am not one of those people who are a neat freak, I never miss assignments or show up late to work shifts or group meetings. He pointed out that we have never had many issues together and he saw this as a result of my communication skills and willingness to talk things through.
- Interview #3: Current Roommate #2
- This interview was with my roommate who I have known since freshman year and we are currently doing the same major. He talked about my willingness for adventure and my strength when I find something I'm passionate about. We study abroad together and he said not many people would have dropped everything they were doing and plan a semester in Australia, but he knew I would. He mentioned that the second I got serious about going he knew it was a done deal because he saw the passion and that I would not give up until we made it.
- Interview #4: My Twin Brother
- This interview I felt was fitting because who knows me better than my identical twin brother, am I right? He talked about growing as an endless competition and that we constantly pushed each other and tried to one up the other. He said my competitiveness was a huge motivation for him and helped him reach the point he is at now. He was always the co-captain of the soccer teams we were on and he mentioned that he always saw me change my leadership style depending on who I was talking to and the needs of the team.
- Interview #5: Best Friend at Work
- In this interview my friend talked about my leadership style and ability to cultivate a positive atmosphere. He said that I am not an in your face leader and I trust everyone to do their job, however, if I need to get something done or make a point I can do so. He also mentioned my positivity at monthly training's, and just my aura whenever I'm working. He said it was easy to feel more upbeat when he saw me around.
*My phone apparently is not water proof and I lost my phone and all the interviews. I did my best to give a more detailed summary of the interviews I conducted.
Reflection
After doing the interviews, it appears that depending on the situation people see me in different ways. No one person stated all 5 of the skills I thought I had, however, they did mention one or two in some way. I think that my actions do depend on where I am, especially when comparing a friend from high school to my friend at work. These are two completely different levels of professionalism and communication so it makes sense they differ. I do not think I would alter my original list, I do think I would add organization somewhere into the list because it was brought up a couple of times.
Hey Chris. Sorry to hear about your phone. Your human capital list is impressive and seems to be backed up by the people that know you best. Seeing or hearing that other people have such a positive impression of you keeps the pressure on to maintain or increase that level. Very good point about actions changing depending on where you are, or who you are around. Knowing how to act in different situations is a skill in of itself.
ReplyDeleteHi Chris - Your skills sound great! I would love to be a great communicator in the public sphere. That is definitely something I have to work on. All your skills are great to have, especially to push your app to become great and successful. It was great to see that all the people you interviewed seemed to agree with your skills.
ReplyDelete