Thursday, July 28, 2016

Reading Reflection 3

1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
________________________________________________________________________

  1. The general argument of the book Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck is that we need to focus on shifting our mindset. She focuses on two types of mindset: a fixed mindset and a growth mindset. If you are able to develop the growth mindset, she argues that you will be able to accomplish more, face adversity easier, and overcome setbacks quicker because your mind is more accepting of change and you will see the world in a different way. Even if you currently have a fixed mindset, Dweck argues that this can be changed and you too can develop a growth mindset.
  2. I think this book connected with this class because the growth mindset is basically what this class attempts to develop. One part of the book I remember being very relevant to this class, was that with a growth mindset you are not worried about failure. With the growth mindset the experience you gain is worth it regardless of the outcome. This connects with my second reading reflection as well. Scott Adams argued that failure is how he learned a majority of his skills and really helped him grow as an individual.
  3. If I were to develop an exercise for this book, I think it would be to require students to think of a skill they are not confident in. This could be drawing, writing poetry, running, swimming, etc. Then I would require them to go out and practice this skill for an hour a day for a week. At the end of the week I would have them reflect on their experience and how much, even after just a week, they got better with the practice. 
  4. The biggest aha moment for me while reading this book was that you can easily change your mindset. I always assumed you were stuck with the way you thought or at least it would be incredibly difficult to change. This book showed me that while it may be challenging at first, it is in fact possible to change that mindset and that it might actually be good to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment