Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 1


1. Me? - 

I am highly motivated when I find the right opportunity that piques my interest. I am an excellent communicator and leader and can motivate others to work with me to reach a goal. I have worked in management for a year and have managed up to 45 people. My aspirations with this business are to develop something that can be useful for others. I am not looking to make a huge monetary gain but it would be nice to make a little side money as my first entrepreneurial venture.
 
2. What am I offering to customers? - 

The product I am offering to customers is an app that will aid in deciding where to eat or go to on a night out. It will split up the restaurants and venues by type of food offered (Italian, Mexican, etc.) and "Deal of the Day" to appeal to those who want good food but do not want to pay a lot for a meal out.

3. Who am I offering it to? - 

I will focus on individuals in the 18-25 year old age bracket, starting first with students at major universities (UF).

4. Why do they care? - 

Many college students eat out several times a week and generally go to the same places because it is what they know. My app will break this cycle and will also help them save money. Chipotle is a great place to go, but maybe there is a cheaper alternative with a shorter line.

5. What are my core competencies? - 

I think the thing that will set me apart from other similar services is that I will have the multiple dimensions on choosing. Yelp you can view different types of restaurants and price ranges, however, it does not show deals which are important to college students. It also shows the chain restaurants more regularly than the small, local restaurants.

I think all of these elements fit together really well. My abilities to communicate and lead a team would be ideal to get this venture off the ground initially and keep it going until I exit. The college aged population does not have an app that specifically caters to them and this will allow me to more easily enter the market and gain popularity. They are also some of the most likely people to go out to eat regularly, rather than eat at home.

3 comments:

  1. Chris,

    I think your business app idea is really interesting. I just ran into this problem last week when my friend and I thought of trying some place new but stuck with our same routine. I would be in need of your app to find deals and other places to eat. Would this app be free or one to purchase? My only concern would be getting it off the ground advertising wise. But with your business and management knowledge it may be easier for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris,

    As I stated in your elevator pitch I think that your idea is great. I now that if your app was available I would use it, because I have the habit of eating the same thing over and over again because I can't figure out what to eat. So I just go eat something cheap, by having your app I would use the deal of the day almost every day. I think that you should focus in college students and go from there, I know that most college students are in a budget, so probably keep interviewing college student and see what there reaction is to your product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,

    This is a great idea. My friends and I go to the same place all the time because we are too lazy to look around and see what else there is. Your app would definitely open doors for college students like me who need a little help branching out and breaking routine. I also appreciate how you talked about the smaller local restaurants. Everyone knows were the big chains are. It’s the local places people usually want to find and try.

    ReplyDelete