1. What are the behaviors that you have used (or developed) to keep up with the requirements of this course?
I have set aside a couple hours 3 days a week to make sure I have done the assignments and made sure that I know of any future assignments. The online platform makes it easy to get behind, but by keeping track of assignments and allotting time in my schedule has quelled these problems.
2. Talk about a moment or two when you felt like "giving up." What pulled you through? Do you feel like you've developed a tenacious attitude during the past two months? What experience or experiences most contributed to this?
On several assignments, I simply did not feel like completing them because an extra credit assignment(s) mitigated the points I would have lost if I did not do the assignment. The thing that pulled my through this was that I missed a question on an extra credit quiz so I had to do an assignment to not lose part of a point.
I do not really fell as if I have developed a tenacious attitude during the past two months. What has really contributed to this is that I feel a disconnect with the class. Tenacity is developed when doing something you feel passion for. However, when I have yet to meet another student taking this class or really feel passionate about assignments it is hard to build this tenacious attitude. In theory, commenting on blog posts is a great way to help people feel engaged. However, no one is going to be honest or even constructive while commenting on a strangers blog post when they can write fluff sentences for 60 words and receive the same grade. I get that with hundreds, if not thousands of students, and UF online students this is probably the only way to make this class viable. I just wish there was a way to make this class more engaging because after the first few weeks I have lost much of the motivation I came into the class with.
3. What are three tips you would offer next semester's student about (1) fostering the skills that support tenacity and (2) developing the 'tenacious mindset' ?
Tip #1: Find a topic that you are interested in. My topic has been the one thing that has kept me motivated to complete assignments because I enjoy talking to people about my thoughts and I like hearing them be honest and offer critiques to help better my thinking.
Tip #2: Be completely honest in your opinion in commenting on Blog posts. This is a skill that will support tenacity because you will, one, help others develop their ideas and, two, it will help you think on a topic you may never have even considered to be an issue, furthering your experience in the class.
Tip #3: Be completely honest with yourself. It is easy to BS your way through assignments and classes. By being honest with yourself, you will know how much work needs to be done and how much you actually did. This will keep you grounded and motivated to develop the "tenacious mindset" the class attempts to develop.

Your halfway reflection is pretty accurate, more times than not I feel justified for missing the more difficult assignments seeing as I am able to acquire so many extra credit points. But that makes me slightly self conscious in the fact that I missed an assignment. However, I have learned a lot just from the assignments I have completed. I'm curious though what do you feel has created the disconnect with the class? I would love to hear back. Great post.
ReplyDelete