Friday, May 13, 2016

My Entrepreneurship Story


My entrepreneurship story begins with my dad. He is now the owner of the business he has been working for since he graduated from UF. He was a chemistry major and met the founder of the company shortly after graduation. They saw that air pollution was a growing concern for major manufacturing plants and the EPA was starting to enforce stricter regulations. The company was designed to partner with steel mills throughout the U.S. to help them make sure they are within government regulations.

If these steel mills are not within government regulations they face serious repercussions. As a result, they use the company as a consulting firm, essentially, to get readings from the plant and inform them where they are in terms of the standards. If the mill is outside of regulations the company helps to find ways to lower emissions and can even help install equipment at plants that will help.

This is probably the most meaningful experience I have with entrepreneurship because of how close I am to it and how much of it I have seen or heard about.


As for why I decided to take this class:


If I am being completely honest, had it not been for my major I do not think I would have even known about this class let alone have taken it. So while this may be a cop out answer for why I decided to take this class it's the truth.

As for what I expect to get out of this class, my views have changed pretty drastically from registration to now. At first I thought this class would lecture on how to set up a business, which I now see is not the aim of the course. So now I hope that this class will help expand my views on daily life. Meaning I hope to become more cognizant of the world around me and instead of taking little issues for granted, try to see these as opportunities for improvement.

6 comments:

  1. Chris,

    I also would like to become better at recognizing problems and solutions to those problems. Your story is interesting and it sounds like a very good business considering how important emissions are to our environment. Do you plan on going into the same business when you graduate? Sounds to me like we need to come up with some type of air filter and make it standardized (like the #2 pencil lol) so that all factories must use the same type of filter. Im ready to graduate and cash out!! Best of luck and looking forward to hearing more from you and my other classmates this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,

    I also was expecting this class to teach us about business plans, networking, etc. I am glad to see though that we will really learn how to develop ourselves and our mental way of thinking about the world around us. I think that self development is key to becoming successful no what venture we're in. Looking forward to more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,

    Your dad entrepreneurship story is very interesting. Your dad was a chemistry major but is now an owner of a business relating to chemistry in some way. Are you planning to help your dad with his business in the future? I like that you were completely honest in your reason of why you are taking ENT 3003. I hope we all learn to see issues as opportunities to be solved with this class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is really cool that your dad was an entrepreneur, starting his own consulting firm. Maybe you will also become an entrepreneur and start your own operation. If it's a coffee shop, you know I'll be there. It would be interesting to see what your dad thought about this class in regards to how it applies to his work as an entrepreneur.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chris,

    Excellent post! It was very well written. I took this class last semester for the same reason. I ended up loving it and learning so much from it. I hope you are able to get as much out of it as I did. :)

    - Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Chris,

    Excellent post! It was very well written. I took this class last semester for the same reason. I ended up loving it and learning so much from it. I hope you are able to get as much out of it as I did. :)

    - Ryan

    ReplyDelete