Thursday, May 26, 2016

Looking for Opportunity

Economic Trends:

1. Car Sales have been increasing  
      a) http://www.valuewalk.com/2016/05/economic-trends-still-positive/
      b) Not only does car sales increasing mean that a product in vehicles would be beneficial, but also increases in car sales indicates that the economy is recovering and people are more willing to spend on big ticket items.
      c) The prototypical customer would be young adults roughly 25-35 years old that are now confident they can spend the money on a new car.
      d) Relatively difficult because you would either have to get in with a major car manufacturer or convince stores to carry an after market product that you would then have to convince other people to install in their new cars.

Why did I see this opportunity?

I saw this because I know people buy new cars only in times of confidence. Instead of saving money people are now starting to purchase bigger ticket items which show consumer confidence and it is important to capitalize on this before another downturn or someone else takes the market space.

2. The trade embargo with Cuba may be lifted soon
     a) http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-03-21/obama-castro-call-for-trade-embargo-on-cuba-to-be-lifted
     b) I think an opportunity exists here because the embargo has stood for over 50 years. This means Cuba is an untouched market that would have unmet needs and little competition.
     c) I think the most likely customer of this embargo being lifted would tourists from the U.S. looking to go to Cuba.
     d) I think this would be relatively difficult, simply for the uncertainty surrounding Cuba. They will still be ruled by a Communist regime and this will likely hurt businesses opening up.

Why did I see this opportunity?

I saw this opportunity because opening up Cuba would be a major economic change for the U.S. Again it may take time to completely normalize relations and it is still an uncertain future, however, the new market full of unmet needs from both the Cuban people and American tourists could be huge.

Regulatory Changes:

1. New Largemouth Bass Regulation Change
     a) http://myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/black-bass/bass-regulations/changes/
     b) I think an opportunity exists here because roughly 70% of anglers that come to Florida target largemouth bass. The regulation for largemouth bass has also changed 25 times in 20 years, making it hard to keep up with the current regulation.
     c) The most likely customer would be anglers coming to Florida or those already here that fish for largemouth bass.
     d) Relatively easy because all it would take is an app that has all of the statewide regulations on it from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Why did I see this Opportunity?

I saw this opportunity because Statewide regulation of wildlife matters comes down to education and if the bag size changes from location to location or changes often it may be hard to stay educated on the regulations. So if there was a way to have all the current regulations at your fingertip it could help the anglers, those who enforce the regulation, and the fish themselves.

2. Florida recently change the water policy
     a) http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/state-regional/florida-senate-oks-water-policy-changes/np4f2/
     b) I think an opportunity exists here because the new regulations actually allow for more polluting in Lake Okeechobee and lawmakers did not make the changes that environmentalists wished to see.
     c) The most likely people who would use something based off of this change would be people from south Florida that use water, whether this is in the home or on one of the bodies of water.
     d) Relatively difficult because this is going against major corporations and lawmakers, but I do believe people have a need for safe drinking water so they will need a product to protect themselves from pollution.

Why did I see this opportunity?

I saw this as an opportunity because people always need clean and accessible drinking water. After the crisis in Flint, Michigan this is not something to take lightly, especially if the pollution poisons our water supply and our enivorment.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, again another good post. I really liked your opportunity about the trade embargo with Cuba. Tourists would definitely be the target customer. Aren't there cigars that people love from Cuba but can't buy? If I'm thinking correctly that would be a good opportunity within the original. I also like the one about Florida's water. This is something we should all care about since we are Florida residents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris! I really enjoyed reading the economic and regulatory trends you found and the opportunities that you drew from them. I talked about the increase in car sales as one of my trends as well, and it's cool that we both saw different opportunities in the same topic. In addition, I really liked your opportunity about the bass regulation change. I think an app with the legislation at your fingertips would be something heavily utilized by so many new and experienced fishermen coming to the area for large bass fishing, and it's something that is definitely do able. That is a fantastic idea that I think you should continue with. Overall, great job on the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris. What a huge economic impact Cuba will have on the US and Cuba itself. Companies are already seizing the opportunity and opening up shop there, and cruise lines are already shipping tourists by the hundreds. Its like a taboo, forbidden land is offering a sneak peak and many curious people will want to take a look. Great job pointing that one out. I like the idea of the app for fishing regulations. I only fish a few times a year and when I do, it's with my friend who is a charter captain and don't need to know much of anything, but an interactive and fun app concerning fishing regulations would spark my interest enough to check out. I think I like that idea more than your Gainesville food app. Great job and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris - i enjoyed reading about the opportunities you presented. I do however disagree that the trade embargo with Cuba being lifted is going to actually help the Cuban people. All the money that is going to be made from tourist visiting Cuba is going to go straight to the government. I doubt the Cuban people are actually going to see that money, but let us see what happens. It will definitely make an impact on Cuba, but I am curious to see how.

    ReplyDelete