Friday, May 13, 2016

Bug List


1. The Taco Bell on University Avenue in Gainesville has consistently slow service (10-15 minutes to even order), even during non-peak hours
    • Why? - I believe this is because the employees do not take the job very seriously and are often joking in the back with each other. This is probably because no one ever comes to audit their work.
2. The Publix on Main Street in Gainesville has a very slow sub line (20 minutes), especially when Chicken Tender Subs are on sale.

    • Why? - This is because they only have two people making subs at a time, while they also have to deal with online ordering and simply are not capable of handling the amount of people ordering.
3. The Publix on Main Street in Gainesville has long check out lines during peak hours.

    • Why? - This is because they only have at most 4 check out lines open and one is always the 10 items or less line. 
4. In Bali, Indonesia, there are piles of burning trash on the side of the roads.

    • Why? - This is because it is still a developing nation and has a large tourist influx. As a result it cannot handle the amount of trash created and doesn't have the space to accommodate for it.
5. In Lombok, Indonesia and Fiji, the coral reef has a lot of trash floating around or stuck in it.

    • Why? - The South Pacific has a problem with pollution and the currents bring the trash onto the reefs, where the jagged edges catch it and hold it there.
6. UF does not have enough parking for students in convenient areas of campus.

    • Why? - UF has taken out parking lots to add more buildings to handle the increase in number of students.
7. FIN3403 (Business Finance) at UF teaches using a financial calculator even though Excel is more useful and practical in real life.

    • Why? - It would be much easier for students to cheat on exams if excel were used and would force students to own a laptop and have Microsoft office.
8. Pearson uses an excessive amount of wrapping on their products, specifically looking at UF edition books.

    • Why? - The books probably go through several shipping points before getting to UF and it is cheaper to ensure protection than replace damaged copies.
9. Netflix doesn't offer the same services everywhere. Australian Netflix has newer/better movies than does the U.S. version.

    • Why? - Netflix just came to Australia in 2015 and they need to increase awareness/desire to purchase a subscription and by having Box Office hits it will attract more customers. 
10. The storm drains on 10th Street in Gainesville are consistently clogged with leaves and the City of Gainesville rarely comes to clean them.

    • Why? - Gainesville is a big city and 10th Street is not a major area that they would need to clean regularly, even though the drains say maintained by the City of Gainesville.
11. HP will automatically update your computer giving you at most 15 minutes of notice, sometimes none at all.

    • Why? - They most likely do this because if it wasn't for automatic updates, most people would be unaware or unwilling to download them.
12. Many bars charge cover for males but not females.

    • Why? - Men are the most likely to go to bars and therefore are willing to go even if they have to pay money to get in.
13. Breyers Ice Cream is moving to smaller containers, yet is charging the same price as the old half gallon tubs.

    • Why? - They may have struggled during the recession and need the extra profits to stay a float.
14. Apple constantly sends iPhone update reminders even after months have past since the update came out and you have purposefully not updated your phone.

    • Why? - Apple spends considerable time and resources to come up with new software and they want all of their products to have the same software to make fixes easier. Or it requires people to continue to be aware of Apple making them more likely to buy other Apple products.
15. Spotify's shuffle is not random and plays many of the same songs even in a playlist of 300+ songs.

    • Why? - Spotify wants you to enjoy the music you listen to and probably bases the shuffle on the songs you most commonly listen to.
16. The Tire Kingdom on Highway 17 in Orange Park bases which car next on immediacy of the customer not which car was dropped off first. So if you sit in the waiting room your car will be worked on before someone who drops a car off and leaves.

    • Why? - They assume that the people waiting will grow impatient if they have to wait an excessive amount of time and will not be repeat customers. Whereas, someone who leaves may be gone for a long time and not need the car worked on immediately and can wait.
17. The iPhone weather app is wrong or changes very suddenly often.

    • Why? - Since it is an app, it may not receive the constant updates that say a website does and therefore will change infrequently.
18. 2nd Avenue Centre's (Apartment complex in Gainesville) wifi was consistently down or being worked on to "improve" it.

    • Why? - It is difficult to provide wifi to as many residents as they have and many providers may not be able to sufficiently produce the necessary signal for that many people.
19. The biodegradable Sun Chip bags are really noisy.

    • Why? - The material that they use is very rigid and therefor any small movement will make a loud noise, but the fact that it is biodegradable takes precedent over this.
20. Snapchat has a new update every week or so and change a lot each time.

    • Why? - They want to stay fresh and keep people interested in the app despite being several years old now and need ways to be innovative.

Thoughts on the exercise:

I thought this exercise was relatively easy for the first 10 bugs. These were the things that I have come across most frequently or were things that I knew were serious problems when I noticed them. The next five, were slightly more difficult to come up with and came to me at random throughout the day after reading about the assignment. The last five were again increasingly difficult because these were things that I really had to think back on. Numbers 16-19 were bugs from the past that I experienced and have not had to deal with for a while so I had to look back and reflect more on these than the previous 15. 

For the most part, I take everything as it comes and never have major problems with most products or services. This I feel made this slightly more challenging because I could not think of 20 problems I had off the bat; it took me almost three days to come up with the complete list of bugs.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Chris! I actually had a similar experience with writing this list. I am so glad I did not choose to do it the day it was due because it took me several days to think of a list of 20 things that bugged me. I relied on coming across things that bugged me throughout the week and took a mental note of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris, I found the insight of your bugs in foreign countries to be interesting. I have traveled to Belize and Honduras and have gained a new appreciation for the things we are provided in the United States. While in the tourist areas it was mostly clean, but when you ventured off into some parts it almost seemed unlivable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up Chris! I love your list. I especially agree that the Taco Bell service is slow! C'mon now it's fast food. I think Blaze pizza is faster and that's basically semi-fast food. They definitely should have built two more parking garages instead of a new chemistry building. No one likes chemistry either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chris,

    I share many of the same bugs as you do. However, #7 is one where we differ. I am bugged that the FIN3403 professor teaches so much from excel, but he doesn't allow us to use it on exams. ;)

    - Ryan

    ReplyDelete